Ocean currents are the continuous flow of ocean water in certain directions. This website provides an assessment of the available kinetic power density of ocean currents in the United States.
The specific project objectives are as follows:
- Host an ocean currents workshop to assess and revise the project methodology.
- Develop the ocean current energy resource potential database.
- Use data to determine which model worked best for different regions.
- Create joint velocity and direction probability distributions.
- Develop a web based interface and GIS tools for dissemination of the data.
- Display GIS layers of the velocity and power.
- Provide probability distributions for the velocity and direction.
- Perform an independent validation of the database.
- Compute the total theoretical available power.